Fire Safety consists of prevention, planning, and response. Everyone on campus whether a student, faculty member, staff member, or an outside contractor, has a responsibility to prevent fires, to plan for fire emergencies, and to respond according to the emergency plan.
Use of electrical "octopuses" can result in overloaded circuits and fire. Replace damaged wires and match appliance power requirements to the circuit power. A general "rule of thumb" formula is:
appliance power (watts) / 110 volts = the approximate power (amps) being used.
Most electrical circuits only supply 15 or 20 amps for all the outlets on that circuit. Extension cords should not be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.
Use only U.L. listed appliances. Hotplates, percolators, irons, halogen lamps, space heaters, etc., should not be left unattended and are prohibited in some places. They should be unplugged after use and not stored until they are cool enough to touch. Keep heaters away from curtains and furniture. Match the size of an extension cord to the appliance power cord to prevent cord overheating.
Combustible material should not be stored in corridors, stairwells, or mechanical rooms.
Open flames are prohibited. Cut natural trees are prohibited. Decorations must be removed before leaving for the holiday break.
Candles, Bunsen burners, sternos, etc., should never be left unattended. Extinguish all open flames, even if left for a very short time. Most open flames require a permit.
Gasoline, paints, glue, etc., should not be stored in residential buildings. Flammable liquid storage in labs, shops, classrooms and office space, is limited to specific quantities and containers. Contact EPSD for specifics.
Storage of bicycles, chairs, desks, and other items is prohibited in all exit ways. This includes securing bicycles to hand railings on ramps or stairs that are a part of the path of access/egress to buildings.
Smoking is not allowed in buildings on the UD campus.
Cooking should be done only in approved areas of kitchens, using U.L. listed appliances. Grease should be cleaned from appliances as soon as possible.
Know the location and operation of the fire alarm system.
Remember 911 and keep the Campus Safety emergency number (5911) posted.
Learn how to use fire extinguishers, how to select the right type, and typical locations.
Advise personnel to begin evacuating at the first sign of smoke or a fire alarm. Know the location outside the building where members of your department or class will meet upon exiting.
Assign one person and a backup to assist with evacuating each disabled individual.
If you discover or suspect a fire, sound the building fire alarm.
Dial 911 or notify Campus Safety at extension 5911.
Only use a fire extinguisher if the fire is very small and you know how to do so safely. Spend no more than 30 seconds making this effort.
Close as many doors and windows as possible as you leave. This helps to confine the fire.
Try to rescue others only if you can do so safely. Take your personal belongings and exit the building. Do not use an elevator as an exit. Move away from the building and don't interfere with the fire department's efforts. Do not go back into the building until allowed back in by Campus Safety.
Congregate at the pre-designated location outside the building so that a head count of the group may be taken.
If the fire is not on the same floor, close all doors and wait for assistance. Have a second person report your location to Campus Safety or the fire department. Hearing or visually impaired persons should be notified of the alarm and assisted, if necessary, to a safe escape route. If necessary, disabled persons may be assisted to the stairwell landings to await emergency personnel. All doors to the stairwell must be closed in order to reduce the buildup of smoke.
Feel the door before opening it. If it's hot leave it closed and seal cracks and vents to keep the smoke out. If it is cool, brace against the door and open it slightly. If there is heat or heavy smoke, close the door and stay in the room.
If you get caught in smoke, get down and crawl. Cleaner, cooler air will be nearer the floor.
Hang an object out the window to attract the fire department's attention. If there is a phone in the room, call the fire department and report that you are trapped. Be sure to give your room and location.
If your clothes catch on fire, stop, drop and roll, wherever you are. Rolling smothers the fire. Use cool tap water (immediately) on burns. Don't use ointments. If skin is blistered, dead white, brown, or charred, seek medical attention.