To be recommended by the University of Dallas for Texas Middle School Certification [Grades 4 - 8] Certification, candidates must show evidence of the following:
1) Bachelor's Degree with an overall grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) and a 2.75 in pedagogical and teaching field courses.
2) General Education Courses-6 hours in English required-12 recommended; 3 hours in math, college algebra or above; 3-4 hours in laboratory science; 6 hours in history, 3 of which must be American; 3 hours in American Government.
3) Complete: Edu 3101, 3102, 3111, 3305, 3322, 3323, 3325, 3327, 3328, 3335, 4343, or 4346, 4848, 4148, 5351, 5352, and at least one semester of Reflective Teaching, and one or two electives from 3324, 3326 with 3103, 3329, 3330, or 5354 depending on academic emphasis.
4) Eighteen hours in a teaching field, 9 of which must be upper division hours. (Composite teaching field certificates require additional hours.)
5) Pass the written and oral comprehensive examinations in Education.
6) Pass appropriate TExES.
7) Complete placement file and teaching portfolio.
English Language Arts and Reading
Composite English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies
N. B. The Department of Education complies with the Texas state certification requirements as set by the State Board of Educator Certification. At the time of this publication, the requirements are accurate; however, requirements may change to reflect new state regulations.