Dr. Olenick's Student's Theses
Dr. Hicks' Student's Theses
- Alex Jagrowski – University of Florida (REU)
- Mary Zischkau – 2015 NIST Physical Measurement Laboratory (SURF)
- Alex Henderson – Exoplanet searchs with Dr. Olenick and Mr. Sweeney in Michigan
- Thienan Nguyen – Neutron scattering measurements with Dr. Hicks at the University
- Daniel Jackson – Neutron scattering measurements with Dr. Hicks at the University
- Liam O’Toole – Computational Cosmology with Dr. Moldenhauer at UD
- Ramses Gonzalez – Astronomy Observation with Dr. Olenick and Mr. Sweeney in MI
- MacKenzie Warrens – Texas A&M Cyclotron Facility (REU)
- Anna Poulsen – Texas A&M Cyclotron Facility (REU)
- Christina Craig – Howard University (REU)
- Laura Aumen - Exoplanet searches in the Upper Peninsula.
- Samuel Henderson - ACS Nuclear Chemistry Summer School at Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Michael Hoff - CASPER REU at Baylor University
- Thaddeus Howard - NEUP Neutron Scattering Research at University of Kentucky
- Michael Kalan - Thin Films Research at Sandia National Laboratory
- Anthony Kersting - Exoplanet searches in the Upper Peninsula
- Michael Klem - Fusion Research at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Aaron Mebane - NASCENT REU at U. of Texas, Austin
- Luke Pecha - NEUP Neutron Scattering Research at University of Kentucky
- Luke Simmons - Hydrodynamic Modeling at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Xavier Bick participated in NanoJapan (http://nanojapan.rice.edu/) through Rice University.
- Mary Zischkau completed Applied Physics Research at Johns Hopkins University.
- Jack Bredemann conducted particle physics research at the University of Florida.
- Elizabeth Sizemore completed biophysics research with Dr. Stephen Slaughter at UD.
- Matthew Melendez, Nick Hedelsky, Thaddeus Howard, and Anthony Kersting conducted astronomy
research in Colorado.
- Samuel Henderson and Leslie Sidwell (postgrad) conducted nuclear physics research
at the University of Kentucky.
- Matthew Leibowitz completed an internship at a computer gaming company in Austin,
- Adam Collard conducted research in nano and electrical engineering at the University
of Massachusetts, Lowell. His research group made two dimensional carbon nitride
"melon", a potential semiconductor.
- Jeff Schniederjan, James Meier, and Matt Heuser did astronomy measurements in Colorado with Dr. Olenick
- Jessie Girgis conducted research at Texas Christian University
- Laura Downes completed a summer REU research project in biophysics at Southwestern
- Thaddeus Howard completed an REU in Chemical Engineering at Tulane University and
studied carbon nanotubes.
- Brett Combs and Leslie Sidwell conducted NEUP funded research at the University Kentucky
with Dr. Hicks. They measured neutron scattering cross sections for Na-23.
- Jared Rovny conducted research at Lawrence Livermore National Lab.
- Andrew Bechter, Eric Bechter, and Blaise Dufrain looked for binary stars with Dr.
Olenick in Colorado.
- Laura Downes, Jeff Schniederjan, and Jessie Girgis studied neutron scattering with
Dr. Hicks at UK
- Mary Catalano conducted research at the University of Maryland.
- Andrew Miller conducted research at Notre Dame University.
- Zofia Kaminski and Natalie Weisse conducted research at the University of Minnesota.
- Christen Racciato conducted research at the South Dakota School of Mines
- Anthony Sigillito conducted research at Virgina Tech.
- Paul Stauduhar completed a project at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Jared Rovny and Kyle Meziere worked on an astronmy project in the Crimea with Dr.
- Luke Kersting and Collin Lueck did neutron scattering measurements at the University
of Kentucky with Dr. Hicks.
- Laura Downes completed an REU at Boston College.
- Monica Lacy completed an REU program at CERN where she programmed with LABVIEW and
worked with electronics to enhance the positron accumulation technique at ATRAP.
- Peter McDonough worked at the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, TX with
the iridium satellite network.
- Collin Lueck completed his research in an REU program at the University of Oklahoma
where he worked on a theoretical project doing Born Oppenheimer calculations.
- Annette Borchard conducted research at Penn State University where she studied the
potential for sub-glacial water based on temperature modeling of East Antarctic ice
- Benjamin Cole completed an REU program at Montana State University where he investigated
the use of Langmuir probes in the study of the ionosphere.
- Joe Gilpin studied the influence of magnetic molecules on electron spin scattering
in InAs at Virginia Tech. University.
- Nick Cornell investigated the effect of plasma discharge on simple bacteria. His work
was done at the University of Dallas.
- Greg Knutsen conducted research at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and studied
the structure of the metal transporter Tp34 and its affinity for divalent metal ions.
- Joseph Meier conducted research at Bucknell University's REU program and studied magnetic
resonance study of the interaction between water and polyethylene glycol dimetharcrylate
hydrogels using T1 relaxation times.
- Patrick Norton conducted research at the University of Dallas and studied optical
- David Solis studied the effect of a nematic liquid crystal environment on the alignment
of the conductive polymer MEH-PPV as a function of polymer chain length at Rice University.
- Will Spearman conducted research at CERN studying edgeless silicon detectors.
- Danny Malutich spent four weeks in Russia and Crimea taking data on V795 Her. He worked
with Dr. Irina Voloshina of the Sternberg Astronomical Institute of Moscow State University
and Dr. Olenick. He took data at the Crimean Observatory.
- Bridget McEwen attended summer research program Penn State University and studied
using seismology to map and characterize the glacial bed in the onset region of ice
stream D, West Antarctica.
- Eric Pepin completed a 10-week REU program at Michigan State University were he investigated
interaural coherence and localization.
- Greg Knutsen and David Solis spent five weeks in Colorado taking data on the intermediate
polar CV V426 Aql.
- Kristi Michels studied the 27Al(p,ã)28Si reaction at Notre Dame University.
- Danny Malutich and Joe Meier took data on the intermediate polar star V795 Her in
- Jamie Antonelli carried out research at Cornell University in accelerator physics.
- Maria Bellon participated in research in optics at the University of North Texas.
- Alan McLaughlin took data on cataclysmic variable stars in Colorado and the University
- Adam Papania conducted research into nanovalves at Georgia Tech.
- Jamie Antonelli participated in research in optics into a fiber grating stabilized
laser at the University of North Texas
- Levente Borvák investigated a digital signal processing (DSP) method for neutron/gamma
pulse-shape discrimination (PSD) at Eötvös Loránd University in Hungary.
- Christian Clerc conducted reserach on the nova V603 Aql in Colorado and at the University
- Kurt Smith researched numerical simulations of Coulomb cluster dynamics at Baylor
- Danny Mehaffey looked into using a PPLN waveguide for producing blue laser light at
the University of North Texas.
- Stephanie Wissel developed Skymaps for GALPROP Simulations of VHE Gamma Rays at the
University of Chicago.
Examples of Student Research Theses
Students supervised by Dr. Richard Olenick
Dr. Olenick's research interests include cataclysmic variable research, modeling non-linear
phenomena, and physics education. He has supervised the following senior theses at
the University of Dallas :
Students supervised by Dr. Sally Hicks
Dr. Hicks conducts research investigating the structure of nuclei. She is also interested
in neutron-nucleus scattering, solar neutrinos, and nuclear astrophysics. Much of
her research has been funded by the National Science Foundation and the Department
of Energy through the NEUP program. She has supervised the following undergraduate
Students supported by the Department of Energy are:
Student projects funded by the National Science Foundation:
- J. C. Boehringer, "Decay Properties and State Lifetimes in 128Te from Inelastic Neutron
- Matthew Burns, "Nuclear Structure Study of 122Te through Inelastic Neutron Scattering"
- Meghan M. Walbran, "Low-Energy Excited Levels of 122Te through Gamma-ray Spectroscopy
Following Inelastic Neutron Scattering (1999).
- Beth Sklaney, "Electromagnetic Transition Rates and Multi-phonon Excitations Observed
in the Cerium-140 Nucleus (1999).
- Gary Alexander, "Lifetimes of 122Te Excited Levels Using the Doppler-Shift Attenuation
- Corey Collard, "Analyses of Gamma-ray Transitions from 122Te Excited Levels, (1998).
- Steve Etzkorn, "Decay Properties and Lifetimes of States in 124Te from (n,n'g) Reaction
Studies ", (1997).
- William Faulkner, "Electromagnetic Transition Rates Observed in the Stable Te Isotopes"
- Carl Lundstedt, "Aiding in the Determining of the Excited States of 142-Ce Through
the Use of Fortran Programming", (1993).
- Christopher J. Bennett, "A Study of Calibration Techniques and the Relative Yields
of Escape Peaks in 152-Eu and 56-Co", (1992).
- Eric Meier, "Inelastic Neutron Scattering on 140-Ce and 142-Ce", (1991).
Theses supervised by Dr. Hicks, but research conducted at other universities in REU
- Michael Hoff, "Charging and Interaction of Two-Particle System within a Glass Box
Immersed in a Low-Vacuum Argon Plasma, " Research conducted through the REU program at Baylor University (2014).
- Jack Bredemann, "Using RPC Data to Assist CSC Data when Dealing with Pt Assignment,"
Research conducted through the REU program at the University of Florida (2014).
- Elizabeth Sizemore, "Methodologies for Analyzing Motion Data in Humans," Research
with Dr. Stephen Slaughter University of Dallas (2014).
- Mary Catalano, "Identifying Inertial Modes in a Hide-Titman Flow" (2011). Research
conducted through the REU program at the University of Maryland.
- Zofia Kaminski, "Particle Tracking of Fluorescent Microspheres" (2011). Research
conducted through the REU program at the University of Minnesota.
- Christen Racciato, "Crystallization of Germanium for Use in Solar Cells" (2011).
Research conducted at the South Dakota School of Mines.
- Anthony Sigillito, "The Design and Fabrication of Bismuth Hall Effect Biosensors"
(2011) Research conducted through the REU program at Virginia Tech.
- Natalie Weisse, "Expression and Manipulation of AquaporinZ in vitro Using the Cell
Free System" (2011). Research conducted at the REU program at the University of Minnesota.
- Monica Lacy, "Improvements in Positron Accumulation Technique at ATRAP" (2010). Research
conducted at CERN through the REU program at the University of Michigan.
- Peter McDonough, " Iridium Satellite Signal Exploitation" (2010). Research conducted
at Southwest Research Corporation in San Antonio, TX.
- Annette Borchard, "East Antarctic Ice Sheets: Potential for Sub-Glacial Water Based
on Temperature Modeling" (2009). Research conduced at Penn State University.
- Joseph Gilpin, "Influence of Magnetic Molecules on Electron Spin Scattering in InAs
as Seen in Its Low Temperature Magnetoresistance" (2009). (Research conducted at Virginia
- David E. Solis, "The Effect of a Nematic Liquid Crystal Environment on the Alignment
of the Conductive Polymer MEH-PPV as a Function of Polymer Chain Length" (2008). (Research
conducted at Rice University.)
- Gregory Robert Knutsen, "The structure of the Testing Edgeless Planar Detectors" (2008).
(Research conducted at UT Southwestern.)
- William Spearman, "Testing Edgeless Planar Detectors" (2008). (Research conducted
at CERN through the REU program at the University of Michigan.)
- Eric Pepin, "Interaural Coherence and Localization" (2007). (Research conducted at
Michigan State University.)
- Bridget McEwen, "Using Seismology to Map and Characterize the Glacial Bed in the Onset
Region of Ice Stream D, West Antarctica" (2007). (Research conducted at Penn State
- Kristi Michels, "The 27Al(p,ã)28Si Reaction(2006). (Research conducted at Notre Dame
- Maria Bellon, Stabilizing the Frequency of an InGaAs/AlGaAs Laser Module (2005). Research
conducted at the University of North Texas.
- Levente Borvak, "Neutron/Gamma-ray Pulse Shape Discrimination Using a PSD Circuit"
(2004). (Research conducted at Eötvös Loránd University in Hungary.)
- Stephanie Wissel, Skymaps for GALPROP Simulations of VHE Gamma Rays (2004). (Research
conducted at the University of Chicago.)
- Janessa Bechtel, "Losses in SRF Cavities" (2003). (Research conducted at the University
of Notre Dame.)
- Genevieve Wing, "Diffusion in the Presence of Adsorption in Organic Aerogels" (2003).
- Claire Nerbun, "Two-Photon Fluorescence Microscopy and Deconvolution Analysis" (2002).
(Research completed at Emory University.)
- Brenda Martin, Insertion Complexes with Methyl-b-Cyclodextrin with Alkane Chains Confined
in an Isolated Droplet of Water (2001). (Research completed at Lehigh University.)
- Shelly Wark, "Sensitive Laser Detection of Environmental Pollutants" (2001). (Research
completed at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas.)
- Elizabeth A. Reisinger, "Investigation of the Fundamental and Higher Order Modes of
the APS Storage Ring Single Cell Cavity",(1993). (Research completed at Argonne National
- Patricia Suzanne Maska, "Development of Elastic Surfaces for Optical Estimation of
Cell Traction Forces", (1992).
- John Bauer, "Preliminary Results from a Search for a Superdeformed State in 188-Hg",
(1990). (Research completed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.)