The university will honor student employees from April 8-12 during Student Employee Appreciation Week, a nationally-celebrated event that, in Irving, will culminate on Friday with a luau for all undergraduate student employees. The luau, which is hosted by the Office of Human Resources, will begin at 3 p.m. in the New Hall courtyard and the Student Employee of the Year will be announced at 3:30 p.m.
"We encourage all faculty and staff to do something special for their student workers this week," said Human Resources Coordinator Melissa Ellis. "We suggest, as an example, serving them treats on Monday and writing them thank you notes on Wednesday."
During the luau, 15 student workers, who have distinguished themselves by their work ethic and contributions to their departments, will be recognized as exemplary student employees and one will be named Student Employee of the Year. The nominees are:
• Sarah Valdovinos – Education
• Evyan Melendez – University Theater
• Paige Hryszko – Student Life/UG Admission
• Abigail Schreiber – Politics
• Jill Prososki – Campus Safety
• Ruth Fritz – English
• Colleen McInerney – English
• Kathleen Davern – English
• Monica Kaufman – English
• Larissa Molinar – School of Ministry
• Peter Raia – Art Gallery
• Patrick Malone – History/Theology
• Minh "Christina" Nguyen – Career Services
• Tara McCrorey – Student Activities
• Timothy Gesner – Biology
"The English Department has 22 great professors, and my student workers are so helpful with the everyday duties of running this office!" said Karen Gempel, English Department administrative assistant. "If I run an errand across campus, I know they will represent us with a pleasant, professional presence –whether in person or on the phone."