No two interviews are alike. In each interviewing experience there will be questions
you were not asked in previous interviews. However, there are a number of questions
that seem more common than others, and these are the questions you should think about
before each interview. A majority of interviewers will steer away from standard directive
questions and concentrate more on open-ended situational or behavioral questions.
Common themes include applications of analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making
skills; leadership development; creativity; teamwork; and personal development.
Prepare Your Answers to these Questions Prior to the Interview:
- Why are you interested in our organization?
- What work experience has been the most valuable to you and why?
- Give an example of a problem you have solved and the process you used.
- Describe a situation in which you had a conflict with another individual and how you
dealt with it.
- What idea have you developed and implemented that was particularly creative or innovative?
- How did you choose to attend The University of Dallas and how did you select your
major(s) in _______?
- How do you think you have changed personally in the past (5) years?
- Tell me about a team project of which you are particularly proud and your contribution.
- What types of situations put you under pressure and how do you deal with the pressure?
- Tell me about a situation when you had to persuade another person to your point of
- Describe a leadership role you have held and tell me why you committed your time to
- What challenges are you looking for in a position?
- In thinking about a past position you have held, what did you do to make your duties
more effective or more challenging?
- What steps would you take to terminate an employee who is not performing adequately?
- What three trends do you see in the future for our industry?
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why do you want to work in (career field)?
- What experiences have directed you toward pursuing your degree?
- Why do you feel you will be successful in this program?
- What is your greatest strength/weakness and how will it affect your performance in
- Describe a team-oriented accomplishment in which you participated as a member of the
team. What did you find to be the most difficult issue or process in becoming a successful
- Have you ever received a grade lower than you expected? If so, what did you do about
- Describe one of the toughest competitive situations you have faced and how you handled
- What are some of the most creative things you have done?
- What has been one of your greatest disappointments and how did you respond?
- Describe a time when you added value to an existing work process.
- What characteristics do you think are important for this position?
- Describe a situation in which you were criticized and how you responded.
- How has your education at The University of Dallas prepared you for a __________ position?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What has been the biggest accomplishment in your life?
- What salary are you expecting?
- Why should I hire you?