Anxiety disorders cause people to have an overwhelming feeling of continual and unrelenting
worry, angst, and fear.
Feeling anxious? Overwhelmed? Stressed? Somewhat fearful?
Below are several anxiety management techniques taught at the UD Counseling Center:
- Managing the body - attending to exercise, diet, sleep, and potentially unhealthy
substances (caffeine/sugar/alcohol, tobacco, drugs)
- Breathing - deeply, slowly, frequently
- Using Mindful Awareness - shifting your focus away from what creates anxiety
- Not listening when worry calls your name - noticing the physical tension associated
with worry and saying 'no' to it
- Knowing, not showing, anger - recognizing the presence of anger and not acting on
- Having a little fun - finding the humor in the shared human condition
- Turning it off - quieting the ruminative mind
- Persistently interrupting negative thoughts - thought stopping and thought replacing
- Worrying well, but only once - knowing it's okay to worry and doing it well, then
- Learning to plan instead of worry - using effective planning to help in the letting