Approximately 70% of all jobs are found through networking!
Most career counseling professionals estimate that at least 50% of the jobs that are
filled are never advertised; so how do people find out about these opportunities?
Current employees will often tell their networking associates when a position is opening
and/or help those associates get interviews. With this in mind, you can see how valuable
this step is in your job search.
- Networking, in reality, is relationship building. The basics include:
- Build a contact management database of who you know
- Email contacts to prepare them for your request for a conversation
- Phone within 72 hours of requesting said meeting
- Conduct meeting/informational interview
- Send thank you note
- Follow up one month later to update the contact on your progress
LinkedIn is a professional networking site of more than 30 million experienced professionals.
As a student, you can create a profile and join any of the University of Dallas LinkedIn
Groups (including UD Personal Career Development) to gain access to University of Dallas employers and alumni.