The first Art Building was completed in 1960, the first academic building built after
the initial six structures erected for the opening of the University in September
1956. A gift of Beatrice Haggerty, it was designed by the famous “father of Southwest
architecture” O’Neil Ford.
The design incorporated a professionally planned garden which included three “peppermint
trees”, flowering peach trees so-called because of the shades of rose to white blooming
on each tree. The trees matured and the chair of the Art Department, Lyle Novinski,
noticed there were small saplings springing up in the ground cover around them. He
transplanted the saplings to a place in the surrounding forest to grow to an adequate
size. When ready, with the help of freshmen Art majors, the saplings were planted
along the wall they had built near what is now the east end of the J. M. Haggar University
What began as a onetime rescue of tiny trees began a practice where Professor Novinski
would dig up the small sprouts from the previous year’s small peaches. It was a short
crucial rescue window because the saplings had to germinate before the first mowing—once
mowed off they would be gone. His habit became to take the little sprouts home, often
dug out with a cafeteria spoon, place them in single pots in his garden. After a
year of growth—to about twenty-four inches high, they would be transferred to large
buckets to grow into small trees. Regularly, in the winter, students, organized now
through the Student Government Landscape Committee, and Novinski planted them around
campus in places with good sun, some protection, and perhaps, some irrigation.
The unpredictable different shades present on one tree remains a mystery. Often questions
are asked about grafting. That is not the case; the trees have their own way of determining
the shades and amount of mix on a single tree. The Peppermint Peach Trees live about
20 years. The first trees planted are long gone but others have been inserted and
enliven the campus each spring. Professor Novinski hopes the replacement process continues—there
are, in fact, about 20 mature trees in his garden ready to be planted.
For many years he gave a lecture about the Rome Program to prospective students and
their parents. Often such Visit Days happen during the brownest part of the year so
he included campus pictures of the flowering peaches. As alumni brought their children
to learn about UD he would offer a tree to alumni parents. There are UD Peppermint
trees spread about the nation now.
Beatrice Haggerty and Novinski became close friends over the many years of her great
patronage. Each spring he carried an armful of blossoms to her home. On her 90th birthday three of the peach trees were planted in her home garden.
Aspiring drama (and perhaps also English) major Klemens Raab, BA '23, has been hanging around UD his whole life, since he only lives about a mile away from the university's Irving campus, and his parents (Klemens, BA '00 MA '06, and Gina (LeBaron), BA '99) are both alumni. He's already experienced the Rome campus, too, having participated in the summer High School Rome Program Shakespeare in Italy last year.
The University of Dallas Board of Trustees has added another alumna to its ranks: Mary Devlin Capizzi, BA '88 MBA '89, a one-time Spanish major who is now a partner at Drinker, Biddle & Reath, LLP, a national, full-service law firm founded in Philadelphia in 1849.
"I ended up at UD by accident," said Professor of Management Bruce Evans, who has taught at UD for 50 years now. Half a century ago, he and his brother were heading home to the East Coast from a camping trip and stopped by UD on a whim; Bob Lynch, dean of the newly formed Graduate School of Management (now the Satish & Yasmin Gupta College of Business), hired Professor Bruce, as he is known by students, on the spot.