Middle School Certification (Grades 4 - 8) Requirements:
The Department of Education offers Middle School (grades 4 - 8) Texas State Certification
in the following areas:
- English Language Arts and Reading
- Social Studies
- Composite English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies
- Composite Mathematics/Science
To be recommended by the University of Dallas for Texas Middle School [Grades 4 -
8] Certification, candidates must show evidence of the following:
1) Bachelor's Degree with an overall grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
and a 2.75 in pedagogical and teaching field courses.
2) Complete general courses:
6 semester hours in English required (12 recommended),
3 semester hours in math, college algebra or above,
3-4 semester hours in laboratory science
6 semester hours in history (3 of which must be American)
3 semester hours in American Government.
3) Complete Education courses:
EDU 3101: Math Practicum,
EDU 3102: Reading Practicum,
EDU 3305: Computer Problem Solving,
EDU 3322: Child and Young Adult Literature,
EDU 3323: Developmental Reading,
EDU 3325: Elementary Math Concepts,
EDU 3327: Child Growth and Development,
EDU 3335 Philosophy of Education,
EDU 3147 and 3148: Reflective Teaching (at least one semester),
Either EDU 4343: Principles of Elementary Education or EDU 4346 Principles of Secondary
EDU 4147: Seminar in Elementary School Directed (Student) Teaching
EDU 4847: Elementary/Middle School Directed (Student) Teaching
EDU 5351: History of American Education
EDU 5352: Educational Evaluation
Depending on academic emphasis*, 3-6 hours of electives from EDU 3324: Diagnostic
and Corrective Reading; EDU 3326: Elementary Science Concepts and EDU 3103: Science
Practicum; EDU 3329: Mathematics Problem Solving; EDU 3330: Integrated Curriculum;
or EDU 5354: Language Acquisition/Linguistics
*For specific information on each emphasis, see our requirements.
4) Eighteen hours in a teaching field, 9 of which must be upper division hours. (Composite
teaching field certificates require additional hours.)
5) Pass the comprehensive examinations in Education.
6) Pass appropriate TExES (Texas Examination of Educator Standards) in content and pedagogy.
7) Complete placement file and teaching portfolio.
N. B. The Department of Education complies with the Texas state certification requirements
as set by the State Board of Educator Certification. At the time of this publication,
the requirements are accurate; however, requirements may change to reflect new state