Cowan - Blakley Memorial Library Guest Use Policy
The University of Dallas Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library welcomes guests into the library Monday
- Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Guests are expected to abide by the following rules.
- We do not require an ID to enter the library Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. However, identification must be provided if requested by library faculty, staff, or
the University of Dallas Police.
- There are public access computers on the main floor of the library. These computers
are shared with UD-affiliated students and faculty. During times of heavy use, students
will receive top priority, which may delay use by public patrons.
- Printing is $0.10 per page. The only forms of payment are cash and check. To print,
you will need to email your document to firstname.lastname@example.org and request them to print it for you.
- A book scanner is available for use for library materials and other documents. Saving
and emailing scanned materials is available free of charge. Materials printed are
$0.10 per page. Public patrons may use this scanner for no more than 30 minutes per
- The primary mission of the Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library is to support the students,
faculty, and staff of the University of Dallas. Librarians are happy to help public
patrons with basic research questions. Extensive reference assistance will not be
available to public patrons.
- First and foremost, the library is a place for collaboration and study for University
students, faculty, and staff. Loud conversations or phone calls should be taken into
- It is expected that all library faculty and staff, student workers, and other library
patrons be treated courteously and respectfully.
The Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library reserves the right to refuse service to any public
patron who does not abide by this policy. This can include a temporary or permanent
ban from the library and/or the University of Dallas campus.
Guest Borrowing Policy
UD Alumni and visitors to the Cowan - Blakley Memorial Library who are not currently
enrolled at, or employed by, the University of Dallas are eligible to borrow materials
with the purchase of a guest card for $40 annually or the possession of a valid TexShare
Card from participating public and university libraries. Each guest card is valid
for one year from date of issue (or, for TexShare card holders, the expiration date
of their TexShare card), and entitles the holder to borrow up to five items for a
three week period. Renewals may be granted twice.
Please note the following:
- Borrowers under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian apply for a guest card.
The borrower's parent will be responsible for all materials checked out on this card.
- No borrower will be allowed to check out materials without presenting their TexShare/Guest
Card and a photo ID. Providing information such as birthdate, address, or phone number
is not sufficient.
- All late fees, lost book charges, or other fines will remain the responsibility of
- Lost Guest or TexShare Cards must be immediately and directly reported to the Circulation
Department of the Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library, to avoid fraudulent checkouts.
- Allowing anyone except the borrower to use a Guest or TexShare Card is prohibited.
- Guest borrowers (or their parent/guardian) are responsible for checking their library
accounts regularly, and are responsible for materials and fines regardless of notice. Any item overdue for more than 30 days will have its status changed to “Lost." This
will result in a hold on the borrower’s account until the item is returned or replacement
costs are paid in full (for TexShare patrons, the issuing institution will receive
- Notify the library of address, phone, and email changes. Return library correspondence
and phone calls in a timely manner.
- Guest library cards do not include off campus access to library databases per our
Questions about these policies should be directed to Ron Scrogham, Dean and Director of Libraries and Research.