Attending on F-1 Student Visa

The University of Dallas is authorized by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) of the Department of Homeland Security to issue the Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status) with which accepted students from other countries can apply for the F-1 visa to study full-time in the United States at the university campus in full-time courses of study offered by the University of Dallas.

At the University of Dallas, the decision as to whether or not to admit an applicant is made by individual Admissions Offices within each academic program. The International Student Services Office does not evaluate international applications nor make acceptance decisions.

F-1 applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds (or a sponsor with sufficient funds) to cover all their academic and living expenses while studying in the United States. Federal regulations do not permit an F-1 student to "work their way through school." Estimated expenses vary from program to program. Since the expenses in each program varies, a separate Confirmation of Financial Resources form (CFR) is available for each program. Click on the link below to see an example of the Confirmation of Financial Resources and related expenses.

Confirmation of Financial Resources - Sample

When an applicant is accepted and shows sufficient funding, a SEVIS record is created and an I-20 is issued and shipped to the applicant with instructions on the steps to take to apply for an F-1 visa from a US Consulate or Embassy.

Applicants who are already in the US studying on an F-1 visa at another institution will be sent instructions on steps to take to have their SEVIS record transferred to the University of Dallas after which an I-20 for transfer can be issued.

Attending on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa 

The general purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is to promote international educational and cultural exchange to develop mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries. At the University of Dallas, there are three types of J-1 exchange visitors: students, scholars, and researchers. An exchange visitor must not be a candidate for a tenure-track position.  Medical insurance is MANDATORY for all J-1 Exchange Visitors and dependents.

J-1 applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds. Students must have 51% of funding from a government or educational sponsor to cover all their academic and living expenses while studying in the United States.  Federal regulations do not permit an J-1 student to "work their way through school."  J-1 researchers and scholars may provide personal funding or receive payment either from their home country government, home country institution or receive payment from the University of Dallas.

  • J-1 students must be admitted to a degree program for a full course of study or be engaged full time in a non-degree course of study.
  • J-1 researchers primarily conduct research, observe, or consult in connection with a research project. The researcher may also teach or lecture.
  • J-1 scholars primarily teach, lecture, observe, or consult. The professor may also conduct research.
  • J-1 short term scholars can be professors, research scholars, specialists, or persons with similar education or accomplishments coming to the U.S. on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills.
  • J-1 specialists are individuals who are expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill who come to the U.S. for observing, consulting or demonstrating those special skills.

Entering the U.S. (DS-2019 and J-1 Visa)

As a J-1 exchange visitor, you will need a University of Dallas issued DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitors and a valid J-1 visa (the visa stamp in a passport) issued by the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad to enter the U.S. Canadian citizens need a DS-2019 but do not need a U.S. visa. You must also carry the receipt of your paying the SEVIS fee. Please be advised that you may not enter the U.S.more than 30 days prior to the begin date on your DS-2019 (item #3) and not later than 15 days after the begin date. When you enter the U.S., you will receive an I-94 Arrival/Departure Record card marked J-1 and D/S (duration of status).