Career Development 3v57 Internship Registration Process
The student will earn credit based on the student's documentation of his/her internship
experience, observations, and results informed by their employment experience.
Fall 2019 registration is Wednesday, September 4, 2019. Students should complete registration
via Handshake. (Late registrations may be accepted on case-by-case basis - contact Christina Nguyen
at firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE September 4, 2019. Please see below for the role of each person in the registration
Students will need to:
- Complete a prerequisite check and review course requirements. Determine if your internship will be eligible for course credit. You can register
for a general studies, business or major-specific* course. *Major-specific internships
will have to be approved through the department head. For eligibility requirements,
please review the course syllabus.
- Initiate the registration process. Request to enroll in the course via Handshake. Instructions can be found here.
- OPCD will approve, deny or return the request for correction. If the student is seeking major-specific credit, the academic department will process
- Secure approvals. Supervisors will be sent a request via email from Handshake to approve your internship
once the registration is approved by OPCD.
- Start internship. Once approved, OPCD will register you to receive academic credit and will email the
final syllabus with due dates and assignments to you. All assignments will be submitted
via Handshake. See your syllabus for details.
Supervisors will need to:
- Approve the internship via Handshake (no account registration required) by confirming
the information below:
- You are the student’s direct supervisor.
- You agree to complete a brief performance evaluation survey at the conclusion of the
- The three learning objectives submitted by the student are correct.
- The weekly work schedule (hours worked per week) are correct.
- Complete the supervisor (performance evaluation) survey. A survey will be emailed to you via Handshake near the end of the semester. Please
complete by the deadline date so that the student will receive full credit for the
Instructors and/or Academic Chairs
If the student seeks major-specific credit, instructors and/or academic chairs will
Approve the internship via Handshake (no account registration required) by confirming
the information below:
- You agree to serve as the student’s instructor of record for the course.
- The three learning objectives submitted by the student are correct and qualify for
major-specific course credit.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the approval process take?
All supervisors and instructors will approve your internship experience within 2 business
In order to get internship credit, do I go to the Registrar first?
No, please stop by Career Development in Augustine Hall with any questions. You will
register for the course via Handshake and Career Development will process your registration.
What is the minimum length of an internship in order to receive credit?
When can I begin interning for credit?
You must be a sophomore (at least 30 credit hours have been completed).
I got an internship after the add/drop date. Can I still sign up?
This is a very rare case. If you think you will receive an internship after the add/drop
date, you must notify Career Development BEFORE the add/drop deadline. Email email@example.com.
I did an internship last semester. Can I get retroactive credit?
No. The course requires that you be working while registered for the course. The university
cannot award retroactive credit for an internship you completed in the past.
What are you looking for in a learning objective?
Learning objectives are goals that you are trying to achieve in your internship. Goals
must be measurable and be able to be evaluated. For example:
- Objective: Learn and implement a social media marketing plan.
- Measured/evaluated by: Increase of followers.
Can I receive major-specific credit for my internship?
Please contact the department chair in order to see if you can receive course credit
for your internship.
Supervisor, Instructor, & Department Chair FAQs
Do I need to sign a form for the student to receive course credit?
No, all approvals will be given via Handshake. Students will provide your email address
to receive the approval request. If you do not receive the email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where will the Handshake email come from?
The email will come from email@example.com.
Do I need a Handshake account to approve internship applications?
No, the email will contain a link to approve the request.
How long do I have to approve the internship and learning objectives?
We ask that you provide approval within 2 business days.
Can I decline an internship?
Yes, you can. We ask that you provide comments as to why it is not approved or steps
the student needs to take in order to be approved.