- Should your clothes and appearance be a consideration for whether you can perform
the duties of a particular job? No.
- Will your clothes and appearance be considered in evaluating you for a particular
- Your primary goal in dressing for an interview is to feel good about the way you look
while projecting an image that matches the requirements of the position and company.
Business Professional Attire Guidelines for Women
- Suits, Dresses: Conservative business suit, pantsuit, or dress of natural or woven-blend
fabric; skirt length should be to the bottom of the knee at least. Choose a color
that complements your skin tone and hair color; beige, black, navy, or gray. Make
sure your clothes are not too tight or too loose.
- Blouses or tops: Simple style. Avoid low-cut necklines or very frilly styles.
- Shoes: Polished pumps or medium heels in color that matches your outfit.
- Stockings: Beige, tan, or natural. Avoid patterns or lacy stockings.
- Purse: Not necessary, but if you bring one it should be of small or medium size in
a color that goes with your outfit.
Business Professional Attire Guidelines for Men
- Suits: Preferred dark blue, gray, or muted pin-stripes. Muted brown or black also
acceptable. A quality woven blend of natural fibers looks professional. Avoid bold
pin-stripes, contrasting slacks and sport coat, or light colors.
- Shirts: A nice quality white button-down or white classic collar is preferred. Oxford
blue or a muted stripe is also acceptable. Be sure it is ironed.
- Ties are a MUST: Conservative stripes or paisleys that complement your suit. Silk
or good quality blends only.
- Shoes: Highly polished slip-ons or laced dress shoes; brown, cordovan, or black.
Guidelines for Both Women and Men
- Avoid unkempt hair or over-the-top hairstyles
- Avoid excessive perfume or cologne
- Manicure nails and have clean hands
Business Casual Attire
Business casual does not mean casual. It does not mean that you can dress however
you want. You are still expected to look professional. For men, a business casual
wardrobe should consist of several long-sleeved cotton oxford shirts; cotton polo
or golf shirts; chinos in acceptable colors (khaki, dark blue, olive green, or stone);
wool slacks; and a sport coat. For women, shirts or blouses are acceptable, sweaters
or knit tops will also work. Pants should be non-denim fabrics that complement the
top. The addition of a fashionable jacket is always a nice touch.