Housing Policies

On-Campus Residency Requirement 

The University is committed to establishing continuity between intellectual development and Residence Life. Living on campus contributes to the intellectual, social, emotional and spiritual growth of the individual student and of the other residential students. The University requires currently enrolled full-time undergraduate students with fewer than ninety earned credit hours (senior standing) to live in either the University residence halls or the student apartments. Living on campus implies acceptance of a residential contract and all related policies whether or not a contract submission is on file in the Office of Student Affairs.

Students under the residency requirement living off campus without valid commuter status will be billed for a standard room charge. Students who fall under the residency requirement must actually live on campus. Students are not subject to the On-Campus Residency Requirement for the academic year if they:

  • Have earned more than ninety credit hours (senior standing)
  • Are twenty-one years of age prior to the first day of class
  • Are married (copy of marriage certificate required)
  • Are veterans (copy of honorable discharge papers required), or
  • Are commuters living with their parent/legal guardian claimed on their income tax in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

The basis for any of the above must exist prior to the semester the student wishes to live off campus and for which a valid ‘Commuter Form’ has been submitted by either July 1st for the fall semester or December 1st for the spring semester. Residents who qualify for commuter status mid-semester are subject to a Contract Breakage Fee, as well as the housing refund schedule, as listed in the Bulletin.

On-campus housing is not available for individuals who are not currently enrolled. On-campus housing is not guaranteed to students who do not fall under the residency requirement.

Commuter Status

Students who no longer fall under the on-campus residency requirement who wish to cancel their previously confirmed housing reservation must notify the Office of Student Affairs in writing (“Commuter Form”) of their intention to cancel the reservation prior to July 1 (Fall semester) or December 1 (Spring semester) in order to qualify for a refund of any housing deposit. Students who withdraw or do not return for any reason will forfeit their housing deposit.  This deposit may also be used to pay down any remaining balance still owed to the University by anyone leaving the University for any reason. The Housing deposit may be reinstated for students who return to a campus residence from an official Leave of Absence or who are readmitted to UD within 2 years.

If notice is given after July 1 but prior to August 1, there is an additional $100 contract breakage fee. After August 1, the fee is $300 prior to move-in. After the student has moved in and at any point during the fall semester, the Contract Breakage Fee is $500. For the spring semester, the Contract Breakage Fee is $500. This fee also applies to fall residents claiming commuter status for the spring semester who do not submit a valid 'Commuter Form' by the December 1st deadline.  

Housing Registration

Undergraduate students subject to the Residency Requirement must submit the appropriate application and housing contract to the Office of Student Affairs by the date designated by the Office of Student Affairs. Requests for a specific roommate must be mutual and submitted at the same time. The Office of Student Affairs will make residential assignments for continuing students based upon classification and credit hours. Mutually confirmed group requests submitted during the official housing registration period will be processed in order of official cumulative credit hours for the entire group. Groups with the highest number of credit hours are assigned first. When there is only one room type remaining to be assigned and more than one group with the same number of cumulative hours has applied, other determining factors such as group average GPA, application submission dates/times, current hours, etc. will be considered.

New incoming students will be placed in one of the ‘traditional’ halls.

Students with Single or Single-in-Double room preference must indicate a second choice for a double with one roommate. Singles in doubles are not available during Housing Registration. During the roommate consolidation process requiring individual appointments around the third week of each semester, requests for single occupancy in a double room will be granted ONLY if space is available and the student agrees to the additional charge.

The University may choose not to assign a student to a residence hall room if the student has an unsatisfactory disciplinary record. The University may also decide to change a room assignment based on needs of the community and disciplinary factors.

All on-campus University students are billed a refundable housing deposit at the commencement of their residency. The full amount will be remitted to the student upon departure if proper written notification is given by the posted deadline dates. Students who withdraw or do not return for any reason will forfeit their housing deposit. The deposit may be reinstated for students who return to a campus residence from an official Leave of Absence or who are readmitted to UD within 2 years. "No shows" will be considered as a cancellation and will also forfeit the housing deposit.


Occasionally, assigned roommates may choose not to attend the University or withdrawal shortly after the semester begins. As a result, some residents may find themselves in an incomplete room or apartment without a roommate. After the third week of the semester, students residing alone in a room will be required to cooperate with the University to consolidate room assignments. Freshmen living alone will either be required to relocate or to accept a new roommate. Students at the sophomore level and above may request a specific new assignment or roommate or the student may pay for a single room if the student has priority on the single room waiting list.

Students who are unable to make arrangements within the established time frame will be reassigned to a room with a roommate at the discretion of the Director of Student Affairs. This policy applies regardless of date or reason of departure of original roommate.

The Director of Student Affairs will assist with issues that impede this process. Failure to consolidate by either accepting a new roommate or moving in with another resident will result in the University declaring the room as Single-in-a-Double and charging the student the higher published rate. See also “Roommate Conflicts” under the Residence Life section of this handbook.

While we do not enforce consolidation across halls, we do enforce the policy within a hall. Due to maturity, developmental issues and other issues, freshmen are not housed with upperclassmen. Students are consolidated regardless of classification or age. Students may request single-in-double room status if there is available room and the student agrees to and signs for the additional room charge. A single room assignment will only be permitted when there is no one left to consolidate and one resident remains without a roommate. No extra charge is assessed to the student. However, no additional charge is assessed with the understanding that the second bed in the room is available for another student should the need arise. OPO status can also be awarded based upon freshman vs. continuing student and documented smoker vs. documented non-smoker stating that they cannot live with a smoker.

During the spring term, returning students are given the opportunity to select a room for the following school year. The annual Housing Registration Week process takes place after Spring Break. There will be advertising to announce specific dates. Incoming freshmen that do not mutually request roommates are assigned roommates.

Confirmations and Cancellations

At some point after Housing Registration Week, undergraduate students will receive confirmation of housing and roommate assignment via email. Assignments are subject to change. Students who no longer fall under the on-campus residency requirement policy and wish to cancel their confirmed housing reservation must formally notify the Office of Student Affairs via the online ‘Commuter Form’ of their intention to cancel the reservation.  This must be done by July 1st for the fall semester or December 1st for the spring semester. Otherwise, a Contract Breakage Fee will be assessed. No-shows will be considered as cancellations and will be billed as such. The University may separate students from on-campus housing if they have not properly cleared for enrollment with the Business Office or Financial Aid.

Breaks and Vacations

University residence halls are closed over breaks and vacations. Absolutely no entrance is allowed in the halls during breaks. 

Apartment residents with a valid contract may stay in their designated apartments during the breaks and vacations, but must move out at the end of the year by the same date and time as hall residents. Apartment residents are cautioned to leave the heat and hot water heaters on during vacations. A temperature setting of 50-60˚ F is suggested. Freezing temperatures can cause water pipes to burst and flood an apartment. Charges for damage resulting from frozen pipes bursting will be assessed to apartment residents.