Pre-Arrival Information

Pre-Arrival Information


What you should know before you leave home?

Government Documents and Procedures

Passports, SEVIS and the SEVIS fee, the I-20, the F-1 Visa, Basic F-1 Regulations

International students must follow certain procedures to qualify for entry, and to maintain their legal status as students in the United States. The International Student Office serves as a liaison between the university, the U.S. Embassy/Consular offices and the US Department of Homeland Security to assist students in fulfilling these obligations. The Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is the federal database in which many actions taken by an F-1 student are recorded.

In this Pre-Arrival document and at your new student orientation, you will see and hear many references to SEVIS. The International Student Office will help you learn and understand the regulations that pertain to you.

Your first step: Paying the SEVIS Fee and Applying for a Visa
All applicants for F (student) visa must pay a $200 SEVIS fee and receive a receipt for same before applying for the F visa. Information on paying this fee is available at the link in the navigation column on the left of this page and will also be included in the packet shipped with your I-20. Click here is find the website for the US consulate or embassy nearest you.  Apply for your visa at the nearest US embassy or consulate. Following is a discussion of the documents you should have or will acquire as you travel out of your country to the U.S.  If you are a J visa holder, you are required to pay a $180 SEVIS fee and receive a receipt for the same before applying for the J visa.

Certificate of Eligibility - I-20 or DS-2019
Since you have been accepted to study at the University of Dallas, the International Office has entered your data into SEVIS to prepare the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) Form to apply for an F visa or a DS-2019 to apply for a J visa. Present this form along with your SEVIS fee receipt and other documents related to your education, to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate to apply for a student visa. Generally, you should apply for the visa as soon as you receive the I-20 or DS-2019. You can apply up to 120 days before the start date of your program. Security clearances may extend the time required to get a visa. For specific instructions as to how to get an appointment, documents to bring, visa fees, etc go the the website of the consulate or embassy you will visit.

A passport is issued by your government to allow you to leave and return to your country. You must obtain a passport before you can apply for a visa. If possible, your passport should be valid for the duration of your educational program in the U.S. If it expires while you are in the U.S. you can renew it through your embassy or consulate. Please keep in mind that any time you leave the U.S. and plan to re-enter, your passport should be valid for a minimum of six months.

This is a permit placed in your passport by an official of another country that enables you to travel to that country. You must have an F-1 visa to come to the U.S. as a student. To apply for an F-1 visa present your I-20, your SEVIS fee receipt, your passport, evidence of financial support, and proof of your intent to return to your home country upon completion of your education in the U.S. and any other documents required by the visa office - shown on the consulate website.  

The visa indicates the period during which you can enter the U.S. and how many entries you are allowed until the expiration date. The visa does not indicate how long you are permitted to stay in the U.S. Your length of stay is determined by the Immigration official who examines your documents at the Port of Entry to the United States.  Students are admitted to the US for an indefinite period of stay denoted as D/S - Duration of Status.

Dependents (F-2)
Accompanying dependents (spouse/children) receive dependent I-20's with which they can apply for dependent visas - the F-2 visa. Dependent passports will be stamped in a similar manner showing F-2 status and D/S.  The dependent I-20 is also returned. 

Following arrival, you will be able to print from a CBP website an additional document known as the I-94, Admission/Departure Record, which will show the same details as the arrival stamp in the passport. Since you will need this additional document for various purposes during your stay in the U.S., you will need to print this as soon as it is available on the website.

Basic Immigration Regulations

  1. You must report to the school on whose I-20 you enter the United States.
  2. Your stay in the United States is valid for "Duration of Status" an indefinite period denoted as D/S in your passport which means the length of time it takes you to complete your program of study plus any authorized Practical Training.
  3. You must enroll for a full course of studies (12 credit hours for undergraduate and 9 credit hours for graduate).
  4. Constantin College, the Braniff Graduate Schools of Liberal Arts and the Neuhoff School Ministry have a traditional calendar - enrollment is required Fall and Spring semesters, summer is vacation - enrollment is optional.
  5. The Yasmin & Satish College of Business graduate program operates on a Trimester calendar - 3 academic terms offered over the entire 12 month year. Vacation terms must be preceded by 2 terms of full-time enrollment. Therefore full-time enrollment during the summer could be required depending on a student's starting term.
  6. You are not permitted to work off-campus without special permission. This will not be granted to students who have been in the United States for less than one academic year.
  7. You must keep your current address and phone number on file with the International Student Office at all times.

If you cannot attend the University of Dallas by the date indicated on the I-20, you can request the Admissions Office and the International Student Office by email to defer your attendance to the next term subject to the policies of your program.

Planning for your trip - Money Arrangements

If you are going to be living on campus in a residence hall, make note of the earliest date that you can move in. If you are planning to arrive earlier than that date, you will need to have sufficient funds to pay for lodging and meals off campus before you can move into your residence hall.

If you are going to live off-campus, you should plan to bring approximately $2,500 in negotiable U.S. funds to cover your initial living expenses upon arrival - apartment deposit, 1st month's rent, kitchen and linen supplies, food. Please keep in mind that the amount of $2,500 is essentially for your first month's living expenses. It does not include your educational expenses, the cost of a car or most durable household items.

Some of the funds you should bring should be in cash (perhaps no more than $500) for immediate expenses, but the rest should be in the form of a cashier's check, traveler's checks, or a bank draft. You should also arrange to have access to funds to pay educational expenses - tuition, fees, books, computer, etc.

Credit history: In addition, a letter from your bank verifying a good credit history could aid you in renting an apartment or buying a car. It is also helpful to bring additional proof of financial support.

Emergency planning: International students should plan to keep an emergency balance totaling at least two months expenses on deposit in a local bank at all times.

If possible, you should obtain a major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover) BEFORE coming to the U.S. A credit card is frequently used as a means of identification when cashing a check, reserving hotel rooms, and is required when renting a car. PLEASE NOTE: It has become nearly impossible to get a major credit card in the U.S. if you do not have an established credit history accessible by your bank using a US Social Security Number and F-1 students can get a Social Security Card ONLY when they are fortunate enough to be offered employment. The only employment available to F-1 students during their first academic year is on-campus employment. Unfortunately, there are very limited job opportunities on the University of Dallas campus.

Click here for the university business office page on Student Account Services including details on how to pay your university charges in foreign currency. 

Students will find it easy to open a checking account at one of the banks near the campus. Unfortunately, none of the banks or financial Institutions is within walking distance of the campus; therefore you should plan an extra day to make arrangements to open an account. See later section for specific banks and locations.

Getting Around in Irving or "Do I Really Need to Plan to Buy a Car?"  

If you are going to be living as an undergraduate in a residence hall on campus, most of your day-to-day needs will be met - food service, laundry facilities, entertainment, etc and therefore you may not find it necessary to have a personal automobile. However, you may need to purchase some initial items - linens, toiletries, etc.

On-campus housing is not available for graduate students. Your needs will be quite different. While it is possible to live off-campus and attend the University of Dallas without owning a car (at Tower Village, specifically), you may find that the limited public transportation* in this area limits your housing options. Be sure to view our Housing Guide to review recmmended housing options. Owning your own car increases your housing options and other opportunities.

*The Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) Orange line provides light rail service to Irving giving access to Dallas to the east, locations in Irving to the west and access to DFW International Airport.. The elevated rail line and UD station are located at the far side of the intersection of Hwy 114 and Tom Braniff Drive and are accessible by a short walk.

Medical Preparations  

Before you depart from your home country, you should take care of the following:

  • Get a check-up from your physician
  • Have important dental work taken care of
  • Procure a supply of any prescription medications you take regularly and get a letter from your doctor in English stating the name of the medication and what condition it is used for.

US Federal law requires that all people in the US be covered on a health insurance plan to help cover any medical expenses incurred in the US.   


Flight and Arrival in the United States  

If you are not able to fly directly into Dallas, plan at least 2 - 3 hours between connecting flights in order to clear Immigration and Customs inspection at your first US Port of Entry.

Documents you should carry on your person:

Passport with F-1 visa
Your I-20 (this may have been placed in a sealed envelope at the consulate or embassy when you got your visa) If you are a Canadian citizen and do not have a visa stamp, you must have your SEVIS fee receipt with your I-20
Evidence of financial resources
Keep these documents in a safe place and bring them to orientation at the university.  If there is any question about your documents, you might be referred to secondary inspection. Don't be overly concerned. Referral to secondary inspection is completely routine to keep the inspection process moving.  

At the customs clearance point, you will be asked to declare the amount of money and the value of your items that you are bringing into the country.  You will receive a declaration form before the airplane lands.  You may be required to pay taxes on money exceeding $10,000 or on goods valued in excess of $250.  It is most important to be truthful concerning customs regulations.  Certain items are prohibited or restricted.  Information listing restricted items is available from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  

Students bringing prescription medication into the U.S. should bring a letter from their physician (in English) stating what the medications is, what medical condition it is for, and the quantity in their possession.  Be aware that some medication used in other countries are considered illegal in the U.S and are not permitted and may be confiscated.

Transportation from the Port of Entry to the University of Dallas  

From Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)

The Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport is about 10 miles from the University of Dallas campus. 

The following services are available:

  • City Shuttle LLC, SuperShuttle and Go Yellow Checker Shuttle are 3 companies that offered "shared ride" services at DFW. (Shared ride means the vehicle will pick up several passengers.) At the free courtesy phone hear Baggage Claim, you can contact a shared ride company. The agent will tell you what the van looks like and exactly where to go to wait for your ride. The cost is determined by zip codes. It is appropriate to tip the driver if he handles your luggage - about $1.00 per bag.
  • The DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) light rail Orange Line serves DFW Airport.  Follow the signs in the terminal to the station.  The University of Dallas station is the 5th station after leaving the airport.  When exiting the train at the university, you can take the elevator to the upper level and board a DART bus. Ask the driver to drop you off at the first stop on the route.  That will be in front of the university.
  • Taxis can take you directly from the airport terminal to you hotel accommodations. 

Whether you use the shared ride or taxi service, have the address where you want to go and maybe even print a map from Google or Yahoo to show the driver.

Housing During Your Program  


On-Campus Housing: Undergraduate students under 21 years old are required to live on-campus (unless married or living with parents). They are assigned on-campus housing first. There is no married housing or family housing on campus. On-campus housing follows the undergraduate academic calendar. Therefore halls are closed for 4 days during Thanksgiving in November, about 4 weeks from mid-December to mid-January (the Christmas break) and for 1 week during spring break in March. While the Housing office will try to accommodate those who must remain on campus during Thanksgiving and Spring break, affected students may be asked to move to a different hall during those times. No one is permitted to stay during the Christmas break. The cafeteria is generally closed during these holidays.

If you would like to check current availability of housing on campus, contact: Housing Office, University of Dallas, phone: (972) 721-5323; fax: (972) 721-5291; email: The university is unable to offer on campus housing for graduate business students.  If you are pursuing your MBA or MS degree  you must live off-campus.

Off-Campus Housing: If not required to live on campus, you can make your own housing arrangements at Tower Village or any other apartment complex by completing the regular leasing application. (Tower Village Apartments is the only apartment complex within walking distance of campus - located just across the street from the main campus). To make your own arrangements, contact Tower Village direct at 972-438-2515 or email

There are many apartment complexes within 5 miles of the campus. In your I-20 packet, you will be provided a list of apartment complexes that current students have recommended. However, since there is limited public transportation in Irving at the present time, those who live farther from campus usually find it necessary to purchase a car. If you do not plan to purchase a car, or at least not right away, Tower Village is your best option.

Students can generally lease an apartment quite quickly by verifying finances and status using bank statements from home, passports and I-20's. Most complexes can provide you a rental application for non-U.S. citizens that will not require you to have a Social Security Number (SSN). If you are asked for your SSN, explain that you are not able to get one yet and ask if they have another process by which you can rent. The International Office is happy to assist by providing copies of documents or certifications of enrollment. Be sure to ask about student discounts. Apartments generally require a 6-month or 1-year lease. Read your lease carefully before signing.

Most apartments are unfurnished except for stove and refrigerator. The leasing office can give you information on renting furniture. Used furniture can be purchased from departing students, local residents, etc.

If you wish to find a roommate you can post a message on Facebook

Bank Accounts

One of the first things you will want to do when you arrive is open a bank account to safeguard your money and free you from carrying a lot of cash. U.S. banks are completely safe and your money is insured. The banks in Irving closest to the university are:

Chase Bank - 1307 West Airport Frwy, Irving, TX 75062 near the intersection of Hwy 183 and MacArthur Boulevard

Bank of America - 110 Hwy 114, Irving, TX 75062 at the intersection of Highway 114 and O'Connor Road

Wells Fargo Bank - Two locations, one at 900 West Airport Freeway and a second at 3535 North Beltline Road

When opening a bank account, you may be asked if you have a Social Security Number. While you may eventually get an SSN, explain to the bank officer that you are an F-1 student from outside the U.S. and that you are not eligible to get an SSN yet. The bank officer will then provide you the appropriate documents to open an account as a foreign national.


Social Security Numbers  

If you have F-1 status, you are eligible to work on campus and eventually off campus. When employed you are required to have a Social Security Number. However, under current regulations, you must actually have a job offer in order to apply for a Social Security Number. Since you will not initially have a job offer, you will not be able to get a Social Security number immediately.

You do not need a Social Security Number to open a bank account or rent an apartment. However, the lack of an SSN may cause other problems as you arrange for services. Explain to any company asking for a SSN that you are not permitted to get one and inquire if they have an alternative method to provide you the service you want.

If you get a job offer (initially you are eligible only for on-campus jobs), you will need a letter verifying your job offer and a letter from the International Office verifying your F-1 status. With these letters, your I-20 and passport verifying your F-1 status, you'll be able to apply for a Social Security Card. For more details click on the link "Can I Get a Social Security Card" in the left hand navigation bar.


Employment Restrictions  

Many international students mistakenly assume that once they arrive in the United States they will be able to "work their way through school." This is not possible. Under no circumstances are F-1 students allowed to work off campus during their first academic year in the United States, and only under specific circumstances are they allowed to work off campus after one year.

F-1 students are permitted to work on campus without getting specific permission. Campus employers are the university itself, the bookstore, and the cafeteria.

The International Student Advisor is authorized to grant permission for off-campus employment for F-1 students only in the case of Curricular Practical Training (CPT); the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)is the only authority who can grant off-campus employment for economic hardship or Optional Practical Training (OPT). Unauthorized employment is grounds for immediate deportation from the United States. 



All F-1 students who are new to the University of Dallas are required to attend a scheduled International Office Orientation covering the legal aspects of their status in the United States. Even if you have already attended another university in the U.S., you are required to attend this orientation. Details on the time and place of your orientation are included in the letter from the international office or the acceptance letter from your program which accompanies the I-20. See the Orientation Schedule on this site for specific details for the next academic term. 

Registering for Classes  

Each program at the university has its own unique procedures for registering for classes. For new students coming to the university for the first time, the list below should give you are idea where to start:

Constantin College - If registering for the fall term (August), registration is during New Student Orientation. If you are registering for the spring term (January), go to the registrar's office in the Braniff Building.

Braniff Graduate School - See the Graduate Coordinator in the graduate school office in Carpenter Hall.

Neuhoff Institute for Ministry & Evangelization - Visit the Neuhoff SOM offices in Catherine Hall.

Graduate Business Students - Registration instructions are provided with your acceptance letter. Consult with your academic adviser by email or in person when you arrive. Actual registration is accomplished online. 

American Culture  

If you are coming to the US for the first time, you may have expectations based on what you have read or seen in films, or heard from others. Many things will be different from what you expect. One person's experiences and perceptions in a country can vary considerably from another's experiences in the same country.

Finally, the United States is a highly active society, full of movement and change. It will probably be very different from what you are accustomed to and even to what you expect. We hope you will enjoy the process of learning about and getting to know the American culture.