Library Mission Statement
The mission of the Cowan-Blakley Memorial Library is to promote and facilitate scholarly
engagement by providing access to both traditional and innovative resources, creating
adaptive spaces, and cultivating excellence in teaching, learning, and research. In
service to the mission of the University of Dallas, the library supports a diverse
intellectual community in its pursuit of wisdom, truth, and virtue.
Library Vision Statement
The purpose of the Cowan - Blakley Memorial Library is to contribute to the fulfillment
of the University's mission by pursuing the following objectives:
- To select, acquire, organize, maintain and make accessible a collection of printed
and non-printed, primary and secondary materials which will support the educational,
research, and public service programs of the undergraduate and graduate schools of
- To respond to the varying needs of the academic community by involving faculty, students,
and administration in the development and periodic assessment of library services
- To provide essential services to University students, faculty, and staff to enhance
research and promote learning.
- To provide an orientation program to teach new users how to obtain individual assistance,
access bibliographic information, and locate materials.
- To provide library users with point-of-use instruction, personal assistance in conducting
library research, and other reference services.
- To provide an environment conducive to the optimum use of library materials and an
appropriate schedule of hours of service and professional assistance.
- To participate in any overall University-wide computing resources plan, and to provide
for full library utilization of automation technology and for physical facilities
and equipment adequate to process, catalog, and store the materials.
- To implement a policy for the recruitment, retention, and development of qualified
service-oriented librarians, and of support staff.
- To enhance the library's resources and services through cooperative relationships
with other libraries and agencies.