Library Mission Statement
The purpose of the Cowan - Blakley Memorial Library is to contribute to the fulfillment
of the University's mission by pursuing the following objectives:
- To select, acquire, organize, maintain and make accessible a collection of printed
and non-printed, primary and secondary materials which will support the educational,
research, and public service programs of the undergraduate and graduate schools of
- To respond to the varying needs of the academic community by involving faculty, students,
and administration in the development and periodic assessment of library services
- To provide essential services to University students, faculty, and staff to enhance
research and promote learning.
- To provide an orientation program to teach new users how to obtain individual assistance,
access bibliographic information, and locate materials.
- To provide library users with point-of-use instruction, personal assistance in conducting
library research, and other reference services.
- To provide an environment conducive to the optimum use of library materials and an
appropriate schedule of hours of service and professional assistance.
- To participate in any overall University-wide computing resources plan, and to provide
for full library utilization of automation technology and for physical facilities
and equipment adequate to process, catalog, and store the materials.
- To implement a policy for the recruitment, retention, and development of qualified
service-oriented librarians, and of support staff.
- To enhance the library's resources and services through cooperative relationships
with other libraries and agencies.