On Campus Employment

On Campus Employment

Students with F-1 visas are eligible to work on-campus while studying in the U.S. A student can begin working up to 30 days before the start date on their I-20. Students may only work on campus while they maintain their status. A valid I-20 document serves as proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment.

What is on-campus employment?

The ISS Office defines on-campus employment as work at University of Dallas that is on the physical campus in Irving and is affiliated with University of Dallas. 

How do I know if my job is on campus?

The ISS Office has written some guiding questions to help you understand if your job is considered to be on-campus employment.

  • Is the job located on the University of Dallas campus in Irving?
  • Are you paid by the University of Dallas?
  • Is the employment providing direct service to the University of Dallas?

If you answered yes to these questions, ISS believes your job may be on-campus.

Time Limits

You are allowed to work:

  • part-time (20 hours per week or less) during your regular full-time semesters/trimesters
  • full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during your annual vacation semester/trimester

Expiration of On-campus Employment Eligibility

Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:

  • When you graduate. It expires the last day of your final semester/trimeter (per UD calendar), even if your I-20 expiration date is in the future.
  • If you transfer to another university; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date.
  • If you violate your F-1 status and your SEVIS record is terminated.

Work Study

Some campus jobs are designated as work-study positions. The job description might include a statement such as: “position open only to UD students who qualify for work-study awards.” Work-study awards are part of federal financial aid packages and are only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. F-1 students, generally, are not eligible for a work-study position and should not apply.

However, there are some cases where the term work-study might be used in a more general sense and not necessarily refer to a financial aid award. You can contact the office that posted the job opening to confirm whether or not you must have a work-study award to be eligible for the job.

Finding a Campus Job

To view available on-campus employment opportunities, visit the Human Resources panel in the MyUD portal.