Every F-1 student must comply with the following guidelines in order to maintain his/her
legal status. Failure to maintain status can result in severe consequences. Please
note: "STATUS" is a function of physically being in the US. When leaving the US for
breaks, vacation, study abroad, etc. the student has no "status," but will be granted
F-1 status upon reentering the US with an F-1 visa. (See exception to F-1 visa requirements
below in section on traveling outside the US.)
Enroll in Authorized School - This means that in order to attend the University of Dallas full-time as an F-1
student, you must have a valid I-20 issued by the University of Dallas.
- Maintain full-time enrollment (and comply with on-line enrollment constraints) - This means you must register for, attend and complete the minimum credits listed
below each academic term:
- 12 credit hours per academic term for undergraduate students (Fall and Spring) (9
credit hours must be in on-ground classes)
- 9 credit hours per academic term for graduate students (Fall and Spring for graduate
liberal arts students; 2 consecutive terms for graduate business students) (6 credit
hours must be in on-ground or hybrid classes)
- Reduced Course Load (RCL) permitted for medical reasons and limited academic reasons.
- Vacation policies: F-1 students are permitted an annual vacation (usually a period of 3+ months) once
each calendar year. For undergraduate and graduate liberal arts students on a traditional
calendar, summer is the annual vacation. For graduate business students on the trimester
calendar, an annual vacation is permitted (but not required) after the student has
been full-time enrolled for two consecutive academic terms.
- Enrollment during one's final term: During the last term of your academic program,
less than full-time enrollment is permitted.
- Comply with employment and practical training regulations - This means do not exceed 20 hours per week of work when employed on campus during
your academic term. Do not work off campus without getting proper work authorization
through the International Student Office.
- Get your I-20 signed on the last page before departing the US for a temporary absence in order to reenter the US. Get this signature in the International Student Services
Office. Your passport must be valid to enter the US - see next item. Generally speaking,
to reenter the US after a temporary trip abroad, your F-1 visa must also still be
valid. See page on Automatic Revalidation for exceptions to this rule.
- Keep your passport valid - Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months into the future at all times.
If your passport is about to expire, contact your embassy in Washington for instructions
to extend the validity or to get a new passport. Click here to find the website of your embassy.
- Report address changes within 10 days of moving - To have your address updated in SEVIS, you must SEND AN EMAIL to the International
Student Office, email@example.com to report your address change. Changing your address in Banner IS NOT SUFFICIENT!
- Request a new I-20 if your program changes - If you change your major or change your degree objective, request a new I-20 from
International Student Services Office.
- Apply for extensions of your I-20 before it expires - If your program of study is going to take longer than the time provided on your
I-20, make an appointment in the International Student Office to get it extended.
- Comply with departure grace periods - Students who have completed their programs have 60 days to depart the country after
the program end date or after the end of their Optional Practical Training. Students
who drop out of their programs of study in the middle of an academic term for whatever
reason with the approval of the International Student Office have 15 days to depart the country before their SEVIS records are terminated for
Authorized Early Withdrawal. Students who drop out without giving prior notification to the International Office AND the university are expected
to leave the US immediately and their SEVIS records will be terminated for Unauthorized