- Enroll online students from SARA member states, subject to program-specific state
- Allow current students to complete experiential learning placements in SARA member
states; not all programs allow for opportunities in every SARA member state.
- Permit current students to engage in independent research or field study in SARA member
- Arrange sponsored field trips in SARA member states; field trips are day-long trips.
- Offer short courses in SARA member states, subject to the SARA parameters for short
SARA establishes a specific set of best practices in distance education (https://nc-sara.org/resources/council-regional-accrediting-commissions-c-rac-guidelines) with comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance-education
courses and programs. These include requirements for online faculty to receive training
in pedagogy and technology; faculty-student interaction, student-student interaction,
and student-content interaction; and ongoing course and program evaluation. Additionally,
SACSCOC, our accrediting body, provides guidelines we follow for distance education
(distance education guidelines from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).
SARA has no effect on state licensing or certification requirements. SARA does not
provide automatic permission for educational activities associated with licensed professions
– these often require additional approval from the applicable state board. Therefore,
not all programs will be available in every SARA member state.
Examples of activities related to state authroization include, but are not limited
to, educational activities that a UD student does on behalf of UD while physically
located in another state such as
- Online Courses
- Face-to-face Courses
- Internships, practicums, student-teaching, etc.
- Proctored Exams
It also refers to business that UD conducts in another state such as:
- Employing faculty or staff in another state
- Owning or leasing property where education takes place
- Contracting with an institution to provide access to resources
- Recruiting (Academic and Athletic)
- Maintaining in-state contact information or an internet server