Theology is "faith seeking understanding." It is a faithful listening to and a systematic,
methodical articulation of the message of the Word of God. This Word was first revealed
to Israel and then it was revealed in the person of Jesus Christ, himself both the
mediator and sum total of Revelation, the word of God. This "dei verbum" is transmitted
in the living tradition of the Church.
Admittedly, our Western civilization cannot be properly understood without some knowledge
of Christianity, which is both a basis and an integral part of our cultural heritage.
The study of theology, however, is much more than an essential discipline in the liberal
arts education; it has a higher and more comprehensive aim. In relating humanity and
the world to their absolute origin and end, theology imparts an ultimate unity to
our understanding of reality and helps us, as no purely human discipline can, to see
and fulfill the meaning of human existence.
Theology Department Mission and Identity
- We offer an intellectually rigorous Catholicism: "always have your answer ready for
the people who ask you the reason for the hope within" (I pt 3:15). Our task is not
primarily a catechetical one, but a theological one.
- Our mission is the recovery and renewal of the Catholic theological tradition in harmony
with the Magisterium and in dialogue with contemporary thought. Since we know who
we are, we are especially capable of dealing with the profound questions of modern
and contemporary thought.
- We integrate the four fields of theology: Scripture, History of Christian Doctrine,
Systematic Theology, and Moral Theology. We treat all topics of these four fields
within the living Catholic faith.
- We read Scripture, and classic writings from Athanasius, Augustine, Aquinas, Newman,
de Lubac, and theological writings from classic thinkers such as John Paul II. In
the "UD Core spirit" we focus on original texts.
- We are and continually strive to be scripturally and historically rooted, philosophically
astute, ecumenical and faithful to Catholic teaching.