Girl looking through shelves of books

Graduate Financial Aid FAQs

Graduate Frequently Asked Questions

What are the steps to apply for Financial Aid?

Submit your FAFSA at Please refer to the Graduate Apply for Financial Aid page for more details.

What is the University of Dallas' federal school code for the FAFSA?


When do I apply for financial aid?

For the 2024-2025 academic year, the FAFSA is already available. Submit this FAFSA if you are planning to attend starting in fall of 2024. (If you are starting in summer of 2024, use the 2023-2024 FAFSA.)

*Please review the FAFSA Simplification Act page to see an overview of the changes to the FAFSA beginning with the 2024-2025 cycle.

The 2024/25 academic year includes Fall 2024, Spring 2025, and Summer 2025. 
You must first be admitted to a program before your FAFSA can be loaded into our financial aid system. Thus, you will not receive a financial aid award notification until you have earned admission and we have received all documentation.

How long does it take the University to receive my FAFSA results?

By applying online, we will receive the results from your FAFSA in about 3-7 business days (during peak awarding periods). Incorrect information or submitting your FAFSA without a a signature will slow down the process.

How long does it take the University to award financial aid?

Financial aid award notifications will be sent out within 2 weeks of receiving all documentation. During peak season (January to May) the award notification may take up to 4 weeks.

How do I access the loan money?

Direct loans will release your loan funds 10-12 days after the beginning of the term, providing your half-time enrollment, or 4.5 hours minimum, have begun and your paperwork has been accepted by the Department of Education. If there is a credit balance after your charges are paid, Student Account Services will issue you a refund within 14 days. See also: Disbursement Dates.

How many hours do I have to be enrolled in to receive federal financial aid?

You must be enrolled in a minimum of 4.5 credit hours (half-time status) towards your degree during each term that you plan to receive federal aid.

Do I have to make a payment to Student Account Services in addition to taking out financial aid?

Once you complete the financial aid process and are registered for at least 6 credits (half-time status) towards your degree, if you have accepted enough financial aid to cover your balance at the University, you do not need to make additional payment arrangements. Student Account Services may clear you based on anticipated aid.

How can I pay for books? 

If all financial aid documentation is complete, AND if you have more financial aid funds then charges, you may request a book voucher from Student Account Services. This book voucher allows students who are expected to receive a refund the ability to purchase their books through the UD bookstore and charge it to their UD student account before they actually receive their refund. This charge will be paid when the student's financial aid funds are released to the University; the amount is deducted from the refund amount.  For more information, see the Book Vouchers page.

What happens if I am considering dropping a course?

Since each student's situation is unique, it is the student's responsibility to contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss the consequence of dropping a class. 

Do I have to reapply each year or will I receive the same amount of financial aid each year?

Eligibility for federal and state aid will be reevaluated each year. You will be required to complete a FAFSA each year as eligibility may change due to enrollment or changes on the FAFSA.

Is financial aid available for international students?

You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident to apply for federal financial aid. If you do not hold this status, then you may apply for a private loan. Certain private loans allow international students to apply with a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. You will have to search for these loans online, and let our office know when you have applied with one. Starting with the Private Loans page may be a good starting point, though you may apply with any lender.

What if I have questions not listed here?

Please contact the Graduate Financial Aid Counselor, Rachel Vaughan, at