Dr. Néfer Muñoz-Solano is a professor of Spanish and Latin American literatures. Before teaching he worked as a journalist for newspapers and magazines in his native Costa Rica, for international news services, and for the British Broadcasting Corporation in London. He holds a masters degree in Latin American Studies and Journalism from New York University and a PhD in Romance Languages and Literatures from Harvard University. Previous to Dallas, he taught literature and communications at University of Costa Rica. He has taught courses on Spanish and Portuguese languages as well as on literary theory, aesthetics, the novel, Latin American Studies, and communications.
• Ph.D., Harvard University, Romance Languages and Literatures. 2013.
• M.A., Harvard University, Hispanic Literatures. 2008.
• M.A., New York University, Latin American Studies and Journalism. 2005.
• Licenciate, University of Costa Rica, Journalism. 2003.
• B.A., University of Costa Rica, Mass Communications. 1997.
• Spanish Film and Conversation
• Spanish-American Literary Traditions
• Advanced Spanish Composition and Grammar
• First-year Spanish II
Forthcoming Book Chapters
• "Memoria histórica y literatura en Centroamérica: zigzagueos entre ficción y no ficción". Paper presented at the Conference of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA). Barcelona, Spain. May, 23 2018.
• "Cicatrices en la Centroamérica del siglo XXI en la prosa de Miguel Huezo Mixco y Maurice Echeverría". Paper presented at the Conference of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA). New York. May 27, 2016.
• "Violencia y memoria en Centroamérica: la ficción y la no ficción entrelazadas en El material humano de Rodrigo Rey Rosa". Paper presented at the Conference of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA). Chicago, Illinois. May 22, 2014.
• "El diarismo mágico o el uso de la hipérbole en el periodismo de García Márquez". Presented during the XII Coloquio Literario de la Feria Internacional del Libro de Monterrey on Gabriel García Márquez, Monterrey, Mexico. October 17, 2014.
• "El periodismo hiperbólico o el diarismo mágico en Gabriel García Márquez (Hyperbolic journalism or magical journalism in Gabriel García Márquez). Guest speaker at the Post-Graduate Seminary organized by King's College, London, United Kingdom. February 27, 2013.
• "Perrozompopo: non-conformist migrant music after the Sandinista Revolution". Paper presented at the Conference Narratives of Migration and Exile. King's College, London, United Kingdom. February 21, 2013.
• "El contrabando literario entre fronteras nebulosas: periodismo y literatura en América Latina" ("Literary contraband between nebulous frontiers: journalism and literature in Latin America".) Guest speaker at the Post-Graduate Seminary organized by King's College, London, United Kingdom. October 24, 2012.
• "El surgimiento de un nuevo intelectual: periodismo y literatura en América Latina". Paper presented at the Conference of the Latin American Studies Association (LASA). Rio de Janeiro. June 14, 2009.
• "El escritor Miguel Ángel Asturias y su hijo el guerrillero Rodrigo Asturias: Hombres de raíz". Paper presented at 32nd Annual Conference of the Caribbean Studies Association. Bahia, Brazil. May 28, 2007.